Coffee and High Blood Pressure
There has been an ongoing debate as to whether the caffeine found in black coffee, (and other caffeinated drinks) actually contributes towards high blood pressure in some Individuals.
But what if I were to tell you that there is one type of coffee which has been shown in several studies to actually have a beneficial side effect on blood pressure?
… Presenting the healthy Green Coffee Bean!
So, what is the difference between black and green coffee?
It’s very simple, actually. Green coffee is made with the beans of the coffee plant which have not been roasted. As a result these beans contain a much higher level of Chlorogenic Acid. And Chlorogenic Acid supports normal levels of nitric oxide in the blood which is essential for relaxing blood vessels and thereby keeping blood pressure levels under control.
2014 Published Study* compares consumption of both green coffee versus black coffee.
The authors used both beverages in this study to compare the effects on blood pressure. And they discovered that
“consumption of green coffee significantly improved arterial
elasticity and reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure…”
One other fact of note: The authors also noted a drop in free cortisol levels, as measured in 24 hr urine samples from the study subjects. This was significant because high cortisol levels have also been shown to contribute to Hypertension.
Green Coffee versus Green Coffee Extract.
It appears that in order to ensure that you are consuming the standardized amount of chlorogenic acid required, it is preferable to take green coffee in an extract form, rather than as a beverage.
Just one or two things to be aware of then as you shop for this supplement:-
- Make sure it is 100% pure – no fillers, or other ingredients, just pure green coffee bean extract
- It should have a chlorogenic acid level from 40-50%.
- The product should be Lab Verified – The purity and level of the chlorogenic acid should be verified by a certified testing lab.
- Ideally made in the USA – or in some other part of the world which guarantees first-rate quality control of the ingredients and manufacturing process. You will probably want to think twice if the product label shows made in PRC (People’s Republic of China).
One product I particularly like because the Company meets the criteria listed above is Perfect Supplements. All supplements offered by this company are guaranteed to be organic. And, as indicated below, they strive to meet the highest standards and offer a wide range of products which do NOT use:
- cheap fillers, such as rice or silica
- flow agents (such as magnesium stearate)
- binders (glue-like substances that form powders into tablets)
- artificial colors or flavors
That way you can be assured you are getting only the purest quality of the product ingredient.